Cooking with Chef Ash: Vanilla Creme Brulee
This recipe will surprise you! It’s incredibly delicious, but it’s also very easy to make. With a few simple ingredients you’ll be able to create this creamy, rich custard base coated with a decadent caramelized layer in minimal time. This is a one recipe you’ll turn to again and again.
- 1 quart heavy cream
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 10 each egg yolks
- 2 each vanilla beans
- Split the vanilla beans in half and scrap the seeds place the whole bean and the seeds in a medium pot with the heavy cream.
- Combine the granulated sugar and the egg yolks in a stainless steel bowl, slowly incorporate the warm cream by tempering it into the egg/sugar mixture.
- Strain the mixture.
- In a shallow baking pan place bake proof ceramic dishes around 8 oz capacity.
- Fill the dishes 3/4 of the way with the strained cream mixture.
- Place into a 300°F oven, then fill the pan with warm water until it reaches half way up the side of the dish, cover pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until set may take longer or shorter depending on the size of the baking dish.
- Dust the top with sugar in the raw and caramelize with a butane torch or under a oven broiler.
- Serve with fresh berries.